This lesson deals with the requirements for preliminary injunctive relief, and includes both temporary injunctions and temporary restraining orders. It is designed for students who have already studied this material in class, and desire to refine their understanding of the matter by applying it in various contexts.
On completion of the lesson, the student will be able to:
1. Explain the distinction between equitable remedies and legal remedies.
2. Describe when and why preliminary injunctive relief is granted.
3. Contrast the two different types of preliminary injunctions: the temporary restraining order (a/k/a "TRO" or "restraining order") and the preliminary or temporary injunction.
4. List the five factors courts require of plaintiffs to grant preliminary relief.
5. Explain the distinction between prohibitory and mandatory injunctions.